Common Golf Injuries

Injuries to golfers most commonly present due to overuse. Studies have shown that there is a high rate of injury, with a 60% chance of a professional and 40% chance of an amateur golfer experiencing an injury during their playing career. 

Golf

I try to play golf regularly and have experienced injuries myself. These have ranged from lower back pain, to wrist weakness whilst gripping the club, and even down into my feet causing plantar fascia pain.

The most common injury complaint is with a golfer's lower back. Lower back complaints account for over 1/3 of all golf-related injuries. This is no surprise, as some players have the ability to swing a club close to 200km/hr whilst in a slightly flexed stance. The combination of the stance, energy put into a swing, weak core muscles and the repetitive movements are the perfect recipe for lower back pain or discomfort.

Other predominant golf-related injuries consist of Golfer's Elbow (medial elbow pain), wrist and rotator cuff pain. It is interesting to note that Professionals experience more wrist injuries than amateurs, however amateurs experience more elbow and shoulder pain. This is more likely due to technique, muscular strength and endurance.

Prevention of a potential injury is extremely important.  Injury prevention does not start and end with simple warm up and warm down exercises or stretches. Exercises and stretches are just part of assisting with injury prevention. Obviously faultless technique coupled with the optimal amount of strength and endurance within the muscles required to do a golf swing is the perfect way to prevent any injuries. However no-one can boast having that, so everyone should implement strategies for prevention.

Considering many golf-related issues are a result of muscular dysfunction, regular Soft Tissue Therapy treatment is an ideal prevention strategy.  Soft Tissue Therapy treatment, such as Remedial Massage or Myotherapy, will assist in preparing the body to play.  Soft Tissue Therapists are experts in manipulating the muscular tissue to either reduce pain, increase range of motion, relax an overactive muscle or stimulate an underactive muscle, along with having the ability and scope to recommend stretches and strengthening exercises, where applicable. Having regular treatments will prepare the body to play in its ideal state.

Not only can Soft Tissue Therapy assist in prevention of an injury, it will also assist with the unfortunate situation of a current and/or recurring injury as part of a rehabilitation plan.

If you are a golfer, you could benefit from Soft Tissue Therapy.  Brendon Lang has a special interest in treating golf-related conditions, so give us a call on 9894 2463 if you think he could help.

Article written by Brendon Lang. Myotherapist